Starting out as a musician, I became a full-time developer 20+ ago and have worked with a wide variety of languages and frameworks and held many roles. I am convinced that the success of a project comes down to people. A seasoned developer can learn anything needed for a project but how to work with others and collaborate as a team is key to success.
Some metrics I enjoy in any working relationship:
- Feeling productive and empowered
- A reasonable level of autonomy and ownership
- Flat hierarchy
- Merit based metrics, applied with intent and regularity
- Reciprocity: I provide a high level of engagement and value and expect adequate compensation
- A relationship based on trust, mutual respect and inclusiveness
- Opportunities to apply creative solutions that move a project forward
- Opportunity to mentor and teach and also to grow
- Building a long-term and mutually beneficial relationship. You win, I win.
- Basics such as adequate tooling to be able to perform my tasks with as little friction as possible. For example, home office allowance.