Programming professionally for 20 years. I've spent the last 4.5 years as Backend Lead at Pexels, and previously held lead roles at HYP3R and TalentNest. Primarily interested in backend Team Lead or Engineering Lead positions. Looking for a fully remote role.
I am very passionate about software engineering, writing maintainable, testable and clean code that follows good architectural practices. I began as a self-taught programmer as a preteen, and worked as a freelance developer through high school and university. That led to a career in multiple industries (including construction, applicant tracking software, social media and currently stock photography), and a fast rise from individual contributor to tech lead and beyond.
In order to give back to the Ruby community, I began heavily contributing to RuboCop (a Ruby linter with 300 million downloads that is a key piece of the toolset for most Ruby developers), culminating being invited to become a core team member at the beginning of 2021.
I have held lead seniority roles for more than 12 years. As a manager, I see myself as a developer advocate, and spend a lot of time focusing on the happiness and productivity of my staff. Currently I am the Backend Lead at Pexels. In this capacity at a small company, I have a wide variety of responsibilities, including:
- Architect, plan, implement, test and ship large complex features and build out process
- Help non-engineers plan, scope and estimate their projects and participate in organization-wide product planning
- Triage and respond to security issues in code and infrastructure, including running a bug bounty program
- Manage and mentor a team of backend engineers of all levels.
- Procure and negotiate with vendors, including saving the company tens of thousands of dollars in hosting costs
Looking forward to hearing from you!